On Dec 7, 2016 6:23 PM, "Jacob Champion" <champio...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider for a moment the case of an HTTP/1.1 upgrade request
> unrecognized by a proxy agent.

It was my understanding that this is an impossible situation for a
conforming proxy, since Upgrade is hop-by-hop. What am I missing?

The fact that there is no way for us to predict what new headers we are
passed in the future are defined in the future to be hop-by-hop, which
result in a 105 response code with a similarly imponderable conundrum. No
way for RFC2068 servers to know 101 became a hop by hop unhandleable
response.