On Dec 9, 2016 8:06 AM, "Petr Pisar" <ppi...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 11:09:42AM -0600, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> I've beaten my head against this wall for a bit longer, and came up with
> several places where pcre2 changed return types for void *what query
> interogations (especially from int to uint32, badness on x86_64-linux).
>
> The attached patch picks up these bad void * type assignments. Still
> no tremendous improvement, missing something blatantly obvious,
> I expect.

After few hours of getting httpd sources and tests and hacking them to
actually obtain a pass, I applied your patch and looked what's wrong with
your
PCRE2 code.

The t/apache/expr.t failed because the pcre2_match() alwayes returned -51
that means PCRE2_ERROR_NULL. The reason is you used the old PCRE
optimization
path and called pcre2_match_data_create(nmatch, NULL) only if nmatch was
positive. As a result, pcre2_match_data_create() was never called, so you
passed NULL matchdata to pcre2_match(), hence the failure.

See the attached fix.

The tests still do not pass, but that's probably another (PCRE2) problem.
I hope I helped you at lest somehow

That's a huge help, thanks Petr.

I'm also curious along that path if adding PCRE2 (or PCRE) study pattern
would also be helpful. Something to experiment with once both code paths
are working.

Cheers,

Bill