My first attempt at this was a major change to how --with-pcre= now
works on trunk, it is now a path to .../pcre[2]-config,
.../bin/pcre[2]-config,
(first it tries the {target}-pcre[2]-config for cross-compilation, and then
the undecorated flavor.)

I did hack around providing either a full path including the script name,
or only the config script name (e.g. --with-pcre=pcre-config to revert to
a legacy pcre-8.x). That causes some extra hassle but seems like a
good idea for these edge cases. In these cases, or where --with-pcre
is simply not given, we actually walk the $PATH, and --with-pcre=PATH
can actual be a traditional path list in place of default $PATH.

So it seems --with-pcre=PATH is the right textual description for this
specific case, and changing these without potentially providing a list
of paths would be erroneous.

I'd welcome any feedback and review of trunk's --with-pcre= detection.

Bill