On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 8:32 AM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> All we are checking is the error code. Nothing else.
>
>    % openssl version
>    OpenSSL 1.0.2p  14 Aug 2018
>    % openssl ocsp 2>/dev/null
>    % print $?
>    1
>    % openssl foo 2>/dev/null
>    % print $?
>    0
>
> With 1.1.1, both return 1, but so what, we know that it has oscp.

$ openssl ocsp >/dev/null
ocsp: Use -help for summary.[wrowe@hub test-httpd]$ echo $?
$ echo $?
1
$ openssl xyz >/dev/null
Invalid command 'xyz'; type "help" for a list.
$ echo $?
1
$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.0i-fips  14 Aug 2018

This doesn't tell us whether ocsp is compiled in.

I have no idea which bastardization of the openssl command line tool you
are using which returns success for bad verbs.

Complaining about /dev/null : orig code had this. Why was that OK?

Never suggested it was OK.

 Asking about finding potential *solutions* instead of throwing more darts
at the wall. Why the emotive tone to a technical discussion?