There are 715 reports tagged 2.0.0 through 2.3-HEAD of Status NEW or
NEEDINFO with no Resolution.

For these bugs I believe we should simply close them with a message that
this is a mass-update, that the version is beyond EOL, and a request for
reporters/observers to retest and reopen with the supported version number
if they are still reproducible using a modern 2.4.x version. But I can't
determine the best Status/Resolution code... suggestions?

There are 69 bugs of status REOPENED, and 20 of status ASSIGNED (?). These
should likely be reviewed by hand and either ACCEPTED against 2.4-HEAD,
tagged NEEDINFO with a request to re-review (after mass-cleanup of NEEDINFO
above), or closed as above with an invitation to retest and reopen.

There are 255 bugs of Status NEW from 2.4.1-2.4.17, releases which are over
three years old. For these, the best resolution is probably NEEDINFO. And
there are 38 2.4.x NEEDINFO bugs, most of which can likely be closed for
good as INVALID under a manual review.

I'm thinking of generic comment which would read (2nd paragraph for
2.0-2.3.x only);

"""
Please help us to refine our list of open and current defects. This is a
mass update of older Bugzilla reports which reflect user error, already
resolved defects, and still-existing defects in httpd.

As repeatedly announced, the Apache HTTP Server Project has discontinued
all development and patch review of the 2.2.x series of releases. The final
release 2.2.34 was published in July 2017, and no further evaluation of bug
reports or security risks will be considered or published for 2.2.x
releases.
If your report represented a question or confusion about how to use an
httpd feature, an unexpected server behavior, problems building or
installing httpd, or working with an external component (a third party
module, browser etc.) we ask you to start by bringing your question to the
User Support and Discussion mailing list, see [
https://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-users] for details. Include a link
to this Bugzilla report for completeness with your question.

If your report was clearly a defect in httpd, we ask that you retest using
a modern httpd release (2.4.33 or later) released in the past year. If it
can be reproduced, please reopen this bug and change the Version field
above to the httpd version you have reconfirmed with.

Your help in identifying only current defects in the httpd server software
is greatly appreciated.
"""

Comments, suggestions and other feedback before we proceed to take a broad
scythe to the stale reports?