> >= 2.0 in the request line when we parse it
> itself are not parsed via ap_parse_request_line

> and I doubt that it will be for future major versions.

Correct, it starts an HTTP/1.1 connection, and the response should reflect
HTTP/1.1.

Precisely. If mod_http2 or quic/mod_http3 can do something with the
connection
based on the request line, it's up to them through the hook facility to
take ownership
of the connection.

If they cannot/do not, then the core http1 connection/request processors
remain
in place and in response to "please speak in HTTP/4.0" this server will
respond,
"sure, here is your HTTP/1.1 response" as expected and defined by the RFC.