On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 2:12 AM Dennis Clarke <dcla...@blastwave.org> wrote:

>      Why the assumption of Microsoft github?  There is no reason to
> migrate to a git service such as Microsoft github when sourcehut works
> just fine as does a private git repo provided by Apache FSF itself.

Because the Apache Instructure Team has constructed a lot of tooling around
GitHub, to support git-based development at the Foundation. We
maintain/synchronize our own copy of the git repository, mailing lists and
commit emails are provided, LDAP authz groups are mapped to GitHub teams,
we have GitHub Actions available, and more. GitHub is fully-supported and
backed by Microsoft (and we have direct contact with them); compare with
sourcehut, quote: "Notice: sr.ht is currently in alpha, and the quality of
the service may reflect that."

Everybody says git is decentralized, so why are you even asking this
question? Can't you just use any git repository, anywhere? ;-)

Cheers,
-g