Hi,

Some interesting Jackrabbit-related bits and pieces from the ApacheCon
EU in Amsterdam last week.

* There were *lots* of people, projects, and companies that were
interest in Jackrabbit, a major increase over the reception in
ApacheCon US last year. I think Jackrabbit is now clearly one of the
"projects to watch" :-)

* Many people are interested in using JCR for storing and querying RDF
triples. This is something we may want to look into in terms of
performance and content modelling. One approach could be to define a
RDF mixin type with an rdf:about property that could be used to turn a
node into an RDF resource. Property names would be the predicates and
property values the objects. This way you could easily make your
existing content model available as RDF. There was interest in
implementing a Jackrabbit binding for the ARQ SPARQL query engine
(http://jena.sourceforge.net/ARQ/). Something like that could be used
as the "SPARQL" query language in JCR.

* The Apache James project (http://james.apache.org/) is very
interested in using a JCR content repository for email storage. I've
volunteered to help them, and the first prototype we did during the
ApacheCon is already in the James svn. The email usage scenario is
somewhat different from typical content management applications, so
this effort might give us good feedback on how generic our
implementation is. James also has some relatively heavy performance
requirements and it will be nice to see how Jackrabbit stacks up
against the existing filesystem and database stores. And as was
mentioned on the James mailing list, such email integration would
allow JCR applications to easily receive, store, send, and manage
email with existing JCR tools.

* We also did a nice content modeling excercise for the incubating
Lokahi project that current stores configuration information in a
relational database. The prototype model and the extra features that
you get from a content repository (for example it's possible to embed
version-controlled documentation files or comments right there inside
the configuration tree) was well received by everyone I demoed it for.
You can see the raw draft model in my email from last week, and I'll
be following up on the Lokahi mailing list to see how we can proceed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting