so far I am not convinced of the benefits of changing to maven.

my vote is still -1

As I said before, my feeling is jmeter is mature and stable. JMeter
isn't missing any critical features and seb has done a phenominal job
of maintaining it.

It's not like there's 10 critical features JMeter must have. Frankly,
I don't buy the argument that jmeter will die. Given JMeter's focus is
narrow, there's no point bloating it with lots of useless knobs and
buttons. I also don't buy the argument of building developer
community. JMeter's developer list has always been small even before I
joined. I attribute this to the focused nature of jmeter. JMeter
doesn't try to be the kitchen sink, butler, maid, dumb waiter, door
bell, race car and bus all rolled into one.

What kind of improvement are you talking about? What kind of growth
are you talking about?

Performance tools have a nitch and will always be that way. There's no
realistic way to drastically grow jmeter's user base. Even though the
traffic on the mailing list doesn't show it, the user base is much
larger. Before I joined jmeter, I thought the user base was small.
Once I started hearing from users directly, it became apparent the
user base is much larger. For example, I know aetna uses it across
their enterprise and is officially recommended by their standards and
practices group. That's a huge user base in just 1 health care
company.

I also know the university of connecticut uses jmeter as their
standard testing tool.

What's the difference between running ant vs build command? What's the
cost vs time benefit for switching? I won't speak for sebastian, but
my experience is that maven 1 & 2 aren't reliable. If sebastian is ok
with the change, I'm ok with it. He is the one who has been actively
maintaining it and he is the one who will have to suffer maven.

Long after other developer leave, sebastian will probably be the one
maintaining it. My suggestion is to think of sebastian and the burden
you put on him. Don't arbitrarily change the build because you happen
to love maven.