Hi!

Now that we have an agreement that jclouds-karaf and jclouds-cli will be
transferred to the Apache Karaf project, I think we are unblocked to
complete the JDK 8 support (initial issue here [1]).

So... let's do that? It should also help unblock several issues we have
about using old versions of some dependencies that require Java 8 now at
least.

I would like to coordinate some effort to merge the JDK8 support and make a
new major release with that as the minimum requirement, along with a bump
to Guava [2,3] and Guice [4], and probably Gson too [5] (I propose to just
be pragmatical and address 3 as proposed int he first comment, just taking
the code we need and copying it).

I think it is time for now and having that shouldn't be a huge effort.

WDYT about prioritizing this, and have a new major with these issues and
without karaf and the CLI?

Cheers!

I.

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/1197