Hello!

I am coming back on this subject that I originally suggested here:
https://github.com/apache/jclouds/pull/93#issuecomment-762705311

Here is my original message:
> BTW are you interested in removing the dependency on XMLBuilder?
>
> This adds a dependency to the com.jamesmurty.utils:java-xmlbuilder jar
> and a transitive dependency to the net.iharder:base64 jar (which is
> superseded by java.util.Base64 with java 8 anyway). They are 18kb each
> approximately and not OSGi compatible. They are not huge, but it's less
> API surface and it's less things to change when trying to use jclouds
> in an OSGi context (they need to be replaced by OSGi compatible bundles
> like org.apache.servicemix.bundles.java-xmlbuilder).

I would also add that XMLBuilder is only used in a tiny portion of jclouds:
the s3 api. I hope retesting would be minimal.

Andrew Gaul answered "We are interested in any OSGi improvements, if they
remove dependencies or otherwise."

I am now ready to look at this, but first I would like to know how I should
do it:

1. I could copy the code of XMLBuilder and trim it down to remove any
unnecessary indirections, but I do not if this is compliant with the
licensing of Apache: I think the ASF wants to be the copyright owner of the
code? Obviously I cannot transfer ownership of somebody else's code.

2. I could keep the nice fluent XMLBuilder API only and reimplement it
myself.

3. I could directly use the `javax.xml` and `org.w3c.dom` APIs of the JDK.

Please let me know what approach you prefer and I'll try to do it.

Thanks!
Jean-Noel Rouvignac

--
ForgeRock values your Privacy <https://www.forgerock.com/your-privacy>