Hello Andrew,

Since Jclouds is heading to the attic, we must now rely heavily on our own
in-house builds of jclouds for bug fixes and extensions.

Currently, we have use cases requiring Amazon virtual private clouds with
their associated limited internet access. This means we need to make some
significant changes to the location management code in jclouds.

Unfortunately, the jclouds code base is rather opaque and, hence, somewhat
hard to approach, from an enhancement perspective, because of the heavy use
of guice dependency injection and custom annotations.

Please don't misunderstand me - there's nothing wrong (in my mind) with the
way jclouds code is written; it's a fine architecture - as long as you have
some kind of high-level architectural documentation so that new
contributors don't have to spend an unreasonable amount of time studying it
to determine how all the pieces fit together.

My request is simple: is there some way we can get some training from you
on how to approach the code base so that we can begin to maintain and
extend jclouds properly?

(Note that, had there been such code/architecture documentation, I myself
would already have contributed heavily to the open source project, but all
of my efforts to "grok the big picture" have led me to making guice-based
hacks as workarounds to issues we've discovered in the past - nothing the
community would have appreciated as a proper contribution - except perhaps
as a stack overflow suggestion - believe me.)

There is the possibility for a (paid) consulting opportunity for yourself
in this request, the result of which could very well benefit the entire
community, as we would then be able to submit proper enhancements to the
project - even if it's in the attic.

Thanks,
John Calcote