I'll bring this conversation out of IZ.

Clytie wrote:
I also query the utility of this type of string:
\<image id=\"img_id3146969\"
src=\"res/commandimagelist/sc_bezierinsert.png\" width=
\"0.222inch\" height=\"0.222inch\"\>\<alt
id=\"alt_id3146969\"\>Icon\</alt\>\</image\>
main0227.xhp#par_id3153838.help.text
There are a LOT of them, and each time, the only translatable text is
"icon". What utility do these strings
have? Is it worth our time to translate this same text, over and over?

Timar wrote:
clytie,
This is not a problem of the format but the problem of the tool you use. There
are tools which can be programmed to parse this format and handle tags correctly
(as non-translatable placeables). These tools can also ignore the changes in
markup, therefore you will have much less work during updates. Sometimes only
the name of icon changes, sometimes inch is converted to cm in dimensions or
vice versa. You are not obliged to use free po editors. I think there are better
solutions which are not free but I value my time more than a few hundred Euros.

Clytie wrote:
timar: I work in a lot of other free-software projects, and haven't
encountered this problem before. For  one thing, they all work on the
unique-string principle, so you don't have to translate the same text
over and over, and secondly, my PO editors handle all those projects'
files effectively. So I am inclined to see this as an OpenOffice.org
issue.

My comment:
Timar didnt mean that po-editors itself do something wrong (although
gettext itself can always surprise when merging), but there is some
functinality missing. Eg. in some editors you can maybe define, that
'this is a tag and must be copied like it is when changed without
making string fuzzy'. From helpcontent fixes 90% (or more) are tag
fixes, which is really PITA for translator - to find out character by
character where is the change.
Another pain for many languages is so called unique string principe
you count as benefit. Simple words, like format, group, start, etc.
have in original language one shape, are they nomens or verbs... In
target language we have to separate many such strings, as eg. 'format'
has in my language at least 5 different meanings. Now we use in
po-translation kde-style comments, that makes some additional work for
translators but can ensure at least reasonable quality.

Ain Vagula