> [...]
> address your 5 points, I understand you may be thinking about some
> more, but anyway that would be food for thought. Also, this is my
> opinion only, not the one of TDF.
>
> 5: this is in fact very feasible. The minimum being: "we use ODF,
> stupid!" but tighter cooperation is always good to work on.  However
> the 5 can only work or even be possible if some development force still
> exists. Which means that the Hamburg engineers would continue to get
> paid for their work.
>
> 4. that would depend what you mean by "modified in some way". We would
> much rather aggregate more contributors from OOo rather than modifying
> our governance to have one specific "OOo representative" who is not
> elected and only nominated by some strange authority.  But we do have
> an Advisory Board, maybe we could work something out there.
>
> 3. frankly that would be a waste of time. Sorry to put it bluntly, but
> the way I always saw us (all of us, here) as one community and two
> projects. Basically, most of the community went away to create
> another new project because the first one was plagued by too many
> issues and uncertainty of the future. Now the former project is in
> peril, his resources are not being ensured by its sponsor... We created
> new structure, new processes (sometimes we kept the old ones),
> precisely to fix the project, while working as one community.
>
> 2. :-)
>
> 1.  I actually have some questions about this one.  You're alluding to
> a simple integration of OOo into TDF. That is very much what already
> happened, but there are still engineers here (who don't code anymore, I
> think) and a few people who sticked to OOo (no criticism from my side
> here). In this case we could think about ways to alleviate concerns
> from the OOo community but also to communicate about what we could then
> call "unification".
>
> So to answer to your argument that we need to sort out governance first
> and then issues will be handled in due time I think I'm not so much in
> agreement with you, because I think the OOo project has come to a point
> where there are various diverging interests on the inside; I would even
> call them existential interests: there is a very skilled developers'
> workforce on one hand who might soon be looking for a job, on the other,
> there are several teams here and there, but mostly users. If you take a
> look at the size of the LibreOffice project (that's not meant for me to
> brag) I would actually say that it's got its own momentum now, while
> this project here is disagregating in its structure (but perhaps not in
> its ideas). Mixing the two governance would also be not supported by the
> LibreOffice folks.
>
> On the other hand, having some sort of representativity inside, say,
> TDF's Advisory Board might be a very good thing. So a mixture of 1 +4
> +5 could be a good way forward, while not emphasizing too much on

I was careful to say in the original post that these were illustrative
examples, not specific suggestions or recommendations. There are probably
other possibilities too.

Your reply is exactly why agreement (or disagreement) on governance is
required. Without it there will be constant uncertainty and a lot of wasted
energy and that is one thing neither group can really afford.

btw, I'm speaking here as a neutral. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of
any specific governance - the examples I produced were deliberately balanced
in that respect.

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications