Hi,

On 10/19/14 7:25 PM, Robert Scholte wrote:
Maybe I found an explanation for the location.
Current 'global' isn't really global. It's bound to the Maven
installation. So for instance: whenever you upgrade your Maven, you
shouldn't forget to copy the settings.xml.

That's exactly the point...

I have at the moment 150 developers which are currently runing against this wall cause the package which is delivered contains the settings.xml in the conf folder of the maven installation....now i have to change the nexus server ...

By putting it under the user.home, you'll never have to change it.

This will work for developers as well for build server like in Jenkins via Config-File-Provider[1] which already handles the setting.xml perfectly...this includes the toolchains.xml as well....Furthermore this supports the usage on slaves as well...

So it works, but IMHO for the wrong reason.

Hm..what do you mean by that? Are you talking about security (passwords..) in settings.xml ? (Config-File-Provider supports also credentials etc.)...

Makes we wonder if we need to think of a real global location as well...

I don't think so ...there are already existing solutions which work well and are supported by the tools (Jenkins etc.)...

Ok they might not be accepted by useers as a good solutions this is a different story...

But if you introduce a new thing...update of tools etc. needed...

But we have to promote the existing solution....

[1] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Config+File+Provider+Plugin

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Robert

Op Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:18:34 +0200 schreef Robert Scholte