Le mercredi 21 janvier 2015 14:44:27 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> There is some piece of code in Checkstyle 5.9 that uses Java 6+
> classes/methods. I don't remember where, but it isn't covered by our
> integration tests.
since our ITs use the 3 integrated rulesets, I suppose this is in a rule that
isn't used by these rulesets
Notice: the animalsniffer check you added doesn't check dependency jars full
content?

> I'll have a look at it tomorrow evening, and see if
> I can produce an IT that catches it.
yes, and if we find it, we'll open an issue to Checkstyle since that was not
supposed to happen: that's what's told on release notes for Checkstyle 6.0

> Another thing that I have been thinking about is whether we should
> move maven_checks.xml out of maven-checkstyle-plugin and into a
> separate resource jar. The rationale being that we (the Maven project)
> will probably be stuck using maven-checkstyle-plugin 2.14 (for Java 5
> projects) and 2.15 (for Java 6 projects)
just for sake of discussion about minimum Maven and Java requirements, I'd say
it as:
- maven-checkstyle-plugin 2.14 for projects built with Maven 2.2.1+Java 5
requirements
- maven-checkstyle-plugin 2.15 (or 3.0) for projects built with Maven 3+Java 6
requirement, which is our next plugin requirement level (and associated
numbering)

> . What happens when 2.16 is
> released and we want to change maven_checks.xml?
I don't like the idea to have a plugin forcing Java requirement upgrade,
especially when mostly a reporting plugin (since not everybody do Checkstyle
checked builds)
But that's another discussion: to be done later

yes, moving maven_checks.xml out of the plugin would be a solution.
For our Maven projects, moving the file to Maven parent POM would be IMHO a
good target: that's what others are supposed to do when they write their own
ruleset, then why don't we do the same?
Since Checkstyle 6.2 provides Sun (and Google) rulesets (see MCHECKSTYLE-268),
removing maven_checks while removing sun_checks would fit, IMHO

And this could even fix my previous comment on 2.16: IMHO, our plugin should
stay with Checkstyle 6.1 as default since it is the last with Java 6
requirement, and end-users can upgrade Checkstyle independently as they want

then definitely, yes, moving maven_checks.xml out of maven-checkstyle-plugin is
definitely a good plan to me
Just avoid a new resource jar: just use Maven parent POM.

Regards,

Hervé