Ok,

here's what I've tried:
   = NOMACRO: I create a file properties.vm, right next to my index.adoc.vm
and inside it I put

      #set($a = "Petar")
      $a

      then inside my index.adoc.vm I put
      #parse("properties.vm")

      [ERROR] Max recursion depth reached (10) File stack: >
C:\workspace\test\src\site\asciidoc\index.adoc.vm > properties.vm >
properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm >
properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm

   = MACRO: again I create properties.vm right next to my index.adoc.vm and
inside it I put

      #macro( petar )
          Petar
      #end

       then inside the index.adoc.vm I put:

     #parse("properties.vm")
     #petar()

and I get

[ERROR] Max recursion depth reached (10) File stack: >
C:\workspace\test\src\site\asciidoc\index.adoc.vm > properties.vm >
properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm >
properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm > properties.vm

     = MACRO IN THEME: I put properties.vm right next to site.vm in my
theme and I reference it from index.adov.vm with #parse("properties.vm")
and maven does not find the file.

I'll try to make a test project.