Am 2016-08-17 um 19:20 schrieb Paul Benedict:
I'm in in the thought process of MNG-6080 and MNG-5567, and I have an idea
to run by the dev folks here:

A ZIP file is a type of resource. A resource artifact gets a new scope to
remain in the reactor but does not contribute to the compiling process or
runtime environment. It's up to the build to determine how to consume it
(via some other mechanism like input into a plugin). But is a ZIP artifact
really any different from any other kind of non-functional artifact? What
about text files, markdown files, or any other kind of non-code resource
you want to share and use?

One such thought of mine was people who want to deploy OSS license files.
Instead of keeping a static copy in a project for distribution bundling, it
could be part of a project dependency and added. I am pretty sure there are
Maven plugins specifically built for this -- but are these plugin to
workaround the absence of native functionality?

So the big philosophical question is...
If a ZIP file is just a resource, then perhaps it's not a new Maven "zip"
type that should be supported... it should be a new Maven "resource" type
that can be any kind of file.

Thoughts?

As per definition, ZIP files can also contain class files. Perfectly valid. Additionally, a lot of people are wating for MNG-1683 just like you and me. I would require to solve this issue first before we continue discussion.

Michael