Github user Tibor17 commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/118

    @brianf
    In generally this is a good starting point of course.
    We should have such ITs which cover the functionality of provider from the
configuration point of view. So as for instance you can see in the old ITs, we
can test that re-run works or parallel execution works or forking JVMs, or XML
report is complete, groups/categories/tags, fail-fast feature or shutdown
works, additional listeners, or combination of JUnit 5 and TestNG.
    Then failure/erros/flakes/skipped are reported in console and XML report so
that the listener works fine.
    People use Filters (miscellaneous combination of class & method patterns)
test/includes/excludes, and some people use in-plugin execution and many use
forks.
    It's maybe worth to write Parameterized IT which alters the tests via using
profiles and so the same POM can be used with different configs but the test
result is very the same. The parameterized test may same our effort so that we
write the Base test once and parameters - see such in the old tests, it maybe
helps.

---
with INFRA.
---