I have one question, which is recurring for every issue: what is the impact?

I understand the logic: it should fix a bug (that is told introduced in Maven
3.3.1), and the bug is explained by the logic behind the javadoc.
But no pointer to any code using this method, and that shows that Maven 3.3.1
does not work any more, when previous version were ok.
Then what is explained here as a bugfix could cause issues for others.

I'm -1 unless I have some details on the impact

Regards,

Hervé