Maven does its job in the Java code to find pom.xml
The shell script is just responsible for finding .mvn directory, starting from
where '-f' points to, even if later Maven java code will complain for other
reasons (here that the directory does not contain pom.xml)

When thinking at it, I don't see really a big difference, because even if the
.mvn directory is not found as expected, Maven java code will fail because no
pom.xml is available

Honestly, I don't see any real situation where one algorithm would make a real
difference: if you prefer use -f argument to start .mvn detection only if the
directory contains pom.xml, I won't argue for a long time, even if I'm pretty
convinced it's more consistent to use the directory even if it does not
contain pom.xml :)

Regards,

Hervé