Michael, I will split SUREFIRE-1380 in two tickets on tomorrow evening.
Another flush is necessary because the method InputStream.read() is called
in a loop and the flush should be called after last byte. If another thread
marks the stream to be closed asynchronously, then the bytes can be lost.
Therefore flushing if stream has been closed in the intermediate time
between these two threads. Maybe not clear to understand, we can have a
look deeper.