I would move to plain markdown in git with one of Hugo or Hexo as the
static site generators, if I were the decider for this (I am not of course).

https://trunkbaseddevelopment.com is Hugo (Go-based) and took me about a
month from start to launch, and after/before regular work. I've another in
Hexo (Node-based) but it's far from ready to share yet. Jekyll is too slow
these days.

The absolute thing *you must have* is an edit-this-page link for each page,
and these days that doesn't mean a wiki, it means a link to the VCS's
edit-a-resource UI. For example, the bottom of
https://trunkbaseddevelopment.com/branch-for-release/ has a Contribute to
this page
<https://github.com/paul-hammant/tbd/edit/master/content/branch-for-release/index.md>
link
that you can harmless click right now to see where that ends up :)