Github user jon-bell commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/161

    @Tibor17 It seems like it had worked for me because I had previously
executed a `mvn install` - I see on a clean maven repo the problem.

    It looks like the `SurefireLauncher` does not unpack/install the parent pom
into the `it-repo`, and hence, the forked maven process can't find the parent
pom (once it's installed). I am hesitant to poke at this further, because I
suspect a fix might involve some changes to `SurefireLauncher` to coerce it to
install the parent pom into the `it-repo` as well. This seems to not be a
problem for any test packages, but is for a provider (which gets the forked
Maven classloader instead of the test classloader). Given that the only other
provider in the repo for integration tests *does not* reference the parent pom,
I assume that this is a problem that someone came upon before and sidestepped.

    I've removed the parent reference that you had suggested above. But, we are
properly picking up `surefire.version` from the maven system property. On a
clean maven repo the `mvn clean install -P run-its` completed with this version
(now again squashed). I agree that referencing the parent pom is a cleaner
solution, but I'm not sure if you/we want to go down the road of patching the
integration test harness to support that (for what amounted to a ~3 line patch).

---
with INFRA.
---