Been using Maven since spring 2005, so really happy with Maven...

I work on legacy applications so I still build on Java 6 & 7
weekly/monthly, but mainly on Java 8 with so experimenting with Java
11.

My feedback and input would be;

1) Drop Pre Java 8 support
It would hurt my as I use it for projects stuck on Java 6 and 7, but
it would also give me business case for needing to upgrade these
projects to supported versions.

2) Dual Support for Java 8 and 11
Bump base version of Java 8 and use multi-release version jars so core
components/plugins and use new features where needed.
e.g.
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (Automatic-Module-Name)
META-INF/versions/11/module-info.class (really support modules)

3) extend toolchains support for all plugins/phases
Currently having issues i.e. wanting to execute surefire/failsafe with
a specific version but having to hack build.

4) Separate repo rebuilt for each major/minor release
Similar to Debian/Ubuntu where each release gets it's own brand new
repo with everything rebuilt. Just wildcard idea.
So each major version gets a new repo, so 3.x, 4.x, 5.x. or 3.6.x,
3.7.x. Everything in this repo allows a basic project to build, i.e.
compile, jar, test, install and deploy. I fell if we don't do anything
in another 10 years maven central might be say 1 PB. We need to think
about a way of starting to drop old old versions, do we need all the
jars that are needed for a maven 2.x build still in central???
Not sure the best idea but think something like this needs working on.

John
Maven Enthusiasts and Evangelist