ASF deserves a customized release strategy, which is now possible with
MRELEASE-956
My idea is that during "prepare" the plugin should upload several files to the
ASF dist folder besides the tagging.
During "perform" it should use these files instead of the tag in SCM (because
these files are the official releases, not the tag).

Just waiting for someone to pick it up.

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-956