Several of these seem like small red flags to me and while
individually each might be manageable, put them all together and I
vote for staying on 39 for a while longer.

I'd also prefer that we complete upgrading the ~80 projects we
maintain to Java 8, Maven 3.2.5, and parent pom 39 before we start
moving some projects beyond that. That is, finish the work at hand
before committing to new work.

Finally, I think we need to reduce the manual labor and bureaucracy
associated with small upgrades. Nit picking commit history and JIRA
issues dramatically slows progress. As currently conceived, we do not
have the resources to do the upgrades we've already promised. We
either have to take work off the table so this can move faster or find
more resources to do the work.

Two concrete proposals for speeding up progress:

1. Ignore the commit history. PRs are the source of truth. Configure
all repos to allow squash merges only. Anything more granular than
that is too rarely helpful in practice to be worth the lost time.

2. Stop filing and requiring JIRA issues for dependency updates.
Instead use maven-dependency-analyzer tooling to directly compare poms
between releases and insert that into release notes.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org