Guillaume,

The change in the behavior is introduced here:
https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/967d8fc19cbb8a78410ceed70bd91c2e628da813#diff-64f7dba44bfc4bf654efbd092058718253adde1449ce9fc63ac5531fba20a071R97
. *RepositorySystem.buildArtifactRepository* behaves differently compared
to *MavenRepositorySystem.buildArtifactRepository*. The former reads the
*layout* from the repository passed as an argument, the latter does not.

Yes, we've seen a change in the behavior. We have a test that defines the
repository with the invalid layout value and expects the failure with the
appropriate message about the invalid layout. This test was working (with
maven 3.8.x, 3.9.x, and 4.x) up until the mentioned change. It is now
failing differently because the invalid value is ignored and "default" is
used instead.

Best regards,
Alexey Venderov
mailto: avende...@gmail.com