I'm OK with Java 11 required to build Maven in 2023, but I'll play my
broken record: it is not yet OK to require Java 11 to run Maven or
plugins.

There are still a lot of developers out there who are using JDK 8
toolchains. and contrary to common claims, it is still a supported
version by many JDK vendors.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 2:38 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently we have already the build requirements for Maven Core at JDK11+
>
> So in consequence I would suggest to lift the minimum requirement for
> building plugins to JDK11.
>
> That means also we can use "--release 8" option
> (<maven.compiler.release>8</maven.compiler.release>) instead of
> source/target which is not correct based on the warnings we get like:
> "[WARNING] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 8"
> which we get in all plugins based on the configuration in maven parent
> using this:
>
>      <javaVersion>8</javaVersion>
>      <maven.compiler.source>1.${javaVersion}</maven.compiler.source>
>      <maven.compiler.target>1.${javaVersion}</maven.compiler.target>
>
> which is not correct because we don't use animalsniffer anymore.
>
> So my suggestion is to lift the JDK build requirements to JDK11...
> and use the <maven.compiler.release>8</maven.compiler.release> which
> will prevent the warning. Also brings us back the safety net which
> animal-sniffer was before.
>

> Later on version of maven-parent (v42?) should change the whole
> configuration (there are some related parts like maven-pmd-plugin,
> maven-enforcer-plugin (enforce-byte-code max)..also toolchain-plugin...
>
> Furthermore we could get rid of the profile for JDK11+ related to
> spotless-maven-plugin ...
>
> Based on the upgrade to maven-parent v41 we could also enhance the build
> pipelines to build on JDK21
>
> WDYT?
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise