Le mer. 21 févr. 2024 à 09:07, Hervé Boutemy <herve.bout...@free.fr> a
écrit :

> ok, you want to contribute on decoupling JDK of Maven vs JDK of compiler
> and
> tests: perhaps we'll need to open a separate discussion to avoid hijacking
> the
> global plan, but let's have one roundtrip

Just to clarify: I don't want but for the rare cases you want to do it you
can already.

> scenario is: I use JDK 21 to run Maven, but I need JDK 8 to run my unit
> and
> integration tests
> of course, i have both JDKs on my machine

Assuming you have JAVA8_HOME setup you set
<jvm>${env.JAVA8_HOME}/bin/java</jvm> in surefire and be it.

> I see how I can manually configure toolchain.xml, modify pom.xml etc... to
> do
> that: it works, it's cumbersome
>
> How does "dropping toolchains" help?

Does not help, read it the opposite way, "toolchain does not help".

> Defining a common plan will probably require a dedicated discussion,
> perhaps
> some wiki pages, perhaps some meeting between people interested to have
> more
> live ideation before sharing proposal on the ML (which is necessary for
> wider
> community discussion)

Sure, my point was not to create a debate on that now, just that we should
probably not see toolchain as a solution cause it hurts more it helps.