@Elliotte while you are pretty right in terms of *compile* features but it
ignores the biggest criteria for any ASF project : the community. Even if
silly, attracting people with Java 8 is born dead today (to illustrate it
just ask somebody to no more use "var" to do a PR for ex, he will start to
"pfffff" ;)).
So most of the challenge here is to stay an active community and not a
dying one and using recent enough JDK is a good way to encourage it IMHO.

Romain Manni-Bucau