Hi,

the issue I see with implementing it either in core/plugin/extension
that this is a kind of burrow where are so many situation which you
can't even handle correctly

Using a plugin means you have to be sure that plugin has been download
upfront. For a remote repository and calling the first time or alike
that simply does not work... (circular dependency)..

If you like to use an extension the same...

If you like to enhance the core there are so many different situation I
would say it's not worth the effort...

My suggestion is it make a list of possible issues in the error message
for example:

- have you check the network connection
- Is the local repository accessible (permission)
- etc.

to summarize that:
- creating a better error message... (with possible suggestions what to
check)

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise