From: Kenney Westerhof [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 2:59 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: RE: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....

Perhaps we can have a rule that every dependency MUST have
a declared
<scope> and <optional> element so that we know the
developer has thought
about the correct values for them, rather than always using the
defaults?
That's against Maven philosophy: conventions based builds. Only specify
things that don't follow the defaults..

I think the problems with poms are because they're generated by default or converted from maven 1, or just uploaded by someone who wants it there.
If a project is built using maven 2, the poms should be correct.

Agreed, but how do we solve the problem?  My suggestion does not force
anyone to change their POMs _unless_ they want them hosted at central.
The issue is that anything hosted at central necessarily becomes a
publicly available component that others can use.  If people want to use
the conventions, fine, but there obviously needs to be a higher standard
to make your component publicly available for use by others.  We are
hurting nobody but ourselves by distributing poorly defined POMs because
inevitably the Maven project as a whole gets the blame.

mike