A build tool should make the obvious things simple but it should not
prevent to solve corner cases. The current maven build system just cannot
cope with running "mvn deploy" for a part of the project so you can run
your tests in another.

The question is not if it's a stupid thing to do, the question is: If I
*have* to, what do I do? Currently, my solution is to revert to ant and
control maven from there.

You can't run mvn deploy (as this only builds the artifact, it does
not make it available to other projects), but you can run mvn install
on one part of your project and then run the tests in another.