I'm +1.

I don't think that making dependencies in Maven more predictable or
deterministic can wait for 2.1, especially considering that it has a fairly
lengthy road before it gets to 2.1-final. Currently, what we have in place
seems buggy, whatever the reality, so I don't see it as worth defending as a
feature of 2.0.x. As others have pointed out, any broken builds caused by
this should be easy to fix, since the builder now has much more - not less -
control over his build.

-john

On 3/16/07, Patrick Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

+1 (non-binding)

> Our integration tests are way too simplistic to test this so we
definitely
> need to test this against 'real life' complex builds.

FWIW, we have been using this patch on our 60+ module build for two months
or so, with extensive use of demMgmt/transitive dependencies exercising
the
new behavior.

Patrick

On 3/16/07, Kenney Westerhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think it won't break builds at all.
> I think that people have lots of workarounds in their poms right now
> to overcome this problem - specifying transitive dependencies directly,
> which they don't directly use, but just to enforce that version being
> used. I've
> done so myself quite a few times. Those builds will not fail since the
> extra dependency will be redundant.
>
> What could be a possible usecase where a build will break?
>
> I agree with the fact that we need to test this thorougly.
> Our integration tests are way too simplistic to test this so we
definitely
> need to test this against 'real life' complex builds.
> The best way to do that I think is to apply it to 2.0.x and let people
> test it
> on their builds for a while.
> If it's breaking more than it fixes we can always roll back before the
> release.
>
> -- Kenney
>
> Brett Porter wrote:
> > -1, at this point. I'd like to look at some specific test cases to see
> > how badly it might break a build - so I could be convinced.
> >
> > No matter how bad the existing behaviour, it is consistent once in
> > place. I think it's unacceptable to drop this into a .0.x release, no
> > matter what the release notes say. Even if it makes it better for new
> > builds, the people that have their current one mysteriously break will
> > be rightly livid. I think we suffered this a little earlier when we
> > enforced order when it wasn't deterministic - I think this would be
more
> > confusing than in that instance.
> >
> > Our users must be able to trust point releases are safe upgrades.
Let's