From: Brian E. Fox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 8:30 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: [VOTE] MINSTALL-37 WAS forceVersion for maven-install-plugin?

I'm looking at the remaining open issues in MINSTALL. This one
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MINSTALL-37 has had some unresolved
discussion in the past. For easy reading, please see here:
http://www.nabble.com/forceVersion-for-maven-install-plugin--tf3341272s1
77.html#a9292710

In summary, Jason D is attempting to use a new flag in install to force
a version to "testing". This is to be bound to a pre-integration-testing
phase to make the plugin he's building get installed and available to
the IT tests (to work around an invoker issue).

Regardless of the use case, I'm leary about adding this flag to the
install plugin because I can see people trying to use this to
incorrectly force maven around some version (or version-less) scheme.
That being said, I'm mainly only worried about this being used to
influence the invocation of the goal in the default lifecycle and I can
see that it might be handy once in a while. I think perhaps a new goal
that extended install:install and added this parameter would be a good
compromise.

I'm not sure what this new goal would be called and I think it
essentially becomes very close to install:install-file once MINSTALL-30
is fixed except it is easier to bind in the pom.

I'd like to move the discussion to a head and I think that since this is
a core plugin, it deserves a vote. I see 3 options:

[] add forceVersion to install:install
[] add new goal that extends install:install and includes forceVersion
[] close MINSTALL-37 as won't fix and direct to use install:install-file
if needed.

Here's my vote:
[-1 (non veto)] add forceVersion to install:install
[+0] add new goal that extends install:install and includes forceVersion
[+1] close MINSTALL-37 as won't fix and direct to use
install:install-file if needed.

Vote for 72 hrs.