hallo

i would like to add one vote to exclude snapshots from version ranges that do not declare them.

we encounter two problematic situations:

when using the release plugin we need to clean the local repository from snapshots to make sure no snapshots end up in the build or any assembly.

the situation is different in active development. somtimes a new version of a dependecy is required. this will be the next snapshot. imagine a range [1.1,2.0). the next snapshot is 1.2-SNAPSHOT. yet this must not be used in releases. its only the developer that needs to use the snapshot. something like [1.1,2.0)-SNAPSHOT could indicate to find the newest version including snapshots.

as not every deloper should have to locally build/install the module we use a CI server too (clean deploy). if the pom does not tell exaclty which version is ok, we currently have the situation that released versions are downloaded from the repository, but snapshots are only ocnsidered if they are available in the local repository.

so to make things clear for both the release man and the developer an explicit snaphot 'flag' or statement to specify the version range with or without snapshots would definitly improve the situation.

currently the builds are not reproducable. they depend on the current state of the local repository.

regards

ossi