+1 in principle.

One thought though....what if we were to add the activeProfile element as it
exists in the settings.xml into the pom.xml and advertise that users can set
something like this in their top level pom.xml:

<profiles>
  <activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>default-maven-plugin-versioning</activeProfile>
  </activeProfiles>
</profiles>

This lets the behavior be optional, to be enabled as desired, is additive to
the pom.xml and accomplishes all of the same goals.

We advertise the hell out of it and people will discover it as they have a
problem that they resolve, can migrate to it as an upgrade process in their
company environments and we don't screw someone over with our benevolent
power.

thoughts?
jesse