>I have to change my vote to -1 :

>Current maven behavior introduces some issues when plugin version is
not
>set. Many users got errors with this and learned to use version.

>Having maven super-POM set plugin version will make the build depend on
>maven version used.

Compare this change to the current behavior. People simply are not
locking them down either because they don't know or they don't want to
make huge xmls. (remember I still think locking them down is the right
way to do it, but apparently the majority of the users don't/won't). So
if we do nothing, they are just as likely to have un-reproducible builds
with a later version of maven. And worse, they potentially break across
developers because their machines have different versions and it changes
suddenly without them having any interaction.

What you point out is definitely a risk, but I see it as less harmful
than the current method.

--Brian