I've done something for the javaee6 archetypes at mojo. I suppose you are
talking the same problem. Only compilation now, not surefire. It's a
solution within current constraints only. When leaving these behind, I would
go for endorsed scope.
http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/mojo/mojo-archetypes/webapp-javaee6/src/main/resources/archetype-resources/pom.xml

Milos