On 2010-01-01, at 5:43 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
>>> Of course not...
>>>
>> But we can, and will, hook into tests that people create. Benjamin has
>> created and improved the core set of plugin
> > ITs that we have and recently made an appeal on the Mojo
> > list to try and get people to do the same.
> Ah...interesting...
>
> > If plugin projects follow the same pattern that we have
> > for our core plugins then we can integrate those into the
> > grid and proactively find problems.
> May be i oversight something or didn't found it...is the "pattern" documented
> in some place ? Or do you mean the pages about "plugin-testing.html"
> (maven-invoker-plugin) from the maven.apache.org site area (Plugin
> Development)...?

I would look at our core plugin as examples. Look at the use of the invoker
plugin as the basis in the maven-compiler-plugin. It would certainly be great
to have that codified and documented. It's the practice that has emerged as the
de facto standard way for testing plugins.

>> If every Maven plugin project created consistent ITs
> > it would be quite easy to spin up some EC2 instances
> > and run versions of Maven over all of them.
> > It is not outside the realm of possibility to test the
> > entire Maven ecosystem of plugins if we can get
> > the individual projects to create ITs and register
> > them somehow.
>> I think ideally we should try to register the plugin
> > projects somewhere and the grid and try to help projects
> > do the testing where necessary.
> What about starting in the wiki with a separate "Compatibility Matrix" (many
> plugins exist already their on the compatibility notes page) as a first
> pragmatic way...and see how it works...

Sure.

> and with that an area for registering has been created as well...whatever
> this will mean...

I think if we get plugins to add some metadata to artifacts deployed we can
find them by scanning the repository and make a list. Would be more accurate
then trying to manually maintain the information. But we can start with the
wiki.

> > Someone should really be able to look at the grid and see
> > if things are working for their plugin.
>

> > Not sure what the best way is to get this to happen
> > but it would be cool.
> So do i, but i would suggest to start with a wiki page...
> and make it known to the dev lists on maven.apache.org and of course on
> codehaus as well....but based on the above mentioned i assume that the
> success leaves to be desired...
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> --
> SoftwareEntwicklung Beratung Schulung    Tel.: +49 (0) 2405 / 415 893
> Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
> Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
> 52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Jason