It seems like an artifact with coordinates X has one separate instance
of DefaultArtifact in each project it appears. So project P0 has
instance X1 and P1 has instance X2. When the jar plugin in P0 calls
setFile on X1, X2 does not get updated.

Is there a well-defined business case for this behaviour ? I suppose in
"linear" maven these instances are not concurrently in service, and it
may not matter too much. Since I feel they represent underlying
singletons, I'd like to make them so. Anyone have any good reason not
to ? (I was /thinking/ along the lines that there may be something
related to snapshot versions, but that's just a little over my head)

(The reason I'm asking is that I find myself writing some fairly
questionable code to transfer attributes from X1->X2)

Kristian