I guess one really nice effect of this would allow you to define a certain internal-only environment for project developers to use, that won't pollute the POM once it's in the remote repository...

But what about people checking out your project and trying to build it if they don't have access to the things in your project-local settings.xml though? This is a problem inherent with system-scoped dependencies, and part of why they're such a mess to deal with. Maybe it's worth giving people enough rope to hang themselves, and trusting them to be responsible.

I suppose profiles.xml was a way to do exactly this too...what was the original reasoning behind removing support for it, does anyone remember?

-john

On 8/1/11 3:16 PM, Julien HENRY wrote:
What is the point of putting a settings.xml in your SCM next to your pom.xml?
In this case just add the repos in the root pom.

++

Julien

----- Mail original -----
De : Milos Kleint<mkle...@gmail.com>
À : Maven Developers List<dev@maven.apache.org>
Cc :
Envoyé le : Lundi 1 Août 2011 21h02
Objet : Re: [DISCUSS] Project local setting.xml

hasn't that been the purpose of profiles.xml files back in 2.x before
it was removed for 3.x?

Milos

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Paul Gier<pg...@redhat.com>  wrote:
  I'd like to discuss the possibility of Maven automatically looking for
  project specific settings.xml file [1].  The main use case for this is
  to eliminate, or at least reduce, the need to add repositories to the
  poms.  A setting.xml file could simply be added into scm into the root
  directory of the project.  Then it would be checked out when the project
  is checked out.

  With multi-module projects, Maven would need to search up the directory
  tree to find the settings.xml file, but this could be made relatively
  simple by checking the parent dirs until Maven finds:
  (1) a settings.xml, (2) a directory with no pom.xml, or (3) the root
  directory

  The only problem I can think of in this case would be when small related
  projects can be checked out separately (similar to Maven plugins, or
  codehaus mojo).  The project might not be able to find the settings.xml
  if it is not checked out with the project.  Although I think this is a
  relatively minor issue.

  [1]http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4686

John Casey
Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)