That's not it, the quoting was fine.  Even with a single argument with no
spaces to -Darguments it still does not work.

Did some more digging and it seems the issue is in the apache-10 parent pom.
If you alter it like so, the arguments are passed as expected:

    <plugin>
      <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
      <version>2.1</version>
      <configuration>
        <useReleaseProfile>false</useReleaseProfile>
        <goals>deploy</goals>
        <!--<arguments>-Papache-release</arguments>-->
        <arguments>-Papache-release ${arguments}</arguments>
      </configuration>
    </plugin>

Seems this is just a mistake as the full config as reported via -X contains
quite a bit of <foo>${foo}</foo> style declarations.  We likely just missed it
here.

Going to use a hacked parent pom for the moment but it would be great if we
could get an apache-11 pom out soonish.

-David