On 12/12/2011, at 7:42 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> 2011/12/12 Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:
>> I've noticed a potential problem when using a repository manager. The new
>> wagon library seems to have introduced a read time out:
>>
>> Could not transfer artifact [...]: Read timed out -> [Help 1]
>>
>> This is going to fail the first time you hit an artifact proxied by a
>> repository manager that takes more than 1 minute to download because there
>> is no progress on the read. In previous versions, there was only a
>> connection timeout.
>>
>> I think that needs to be prevented, at least until the repository managers
>> all stream proxied artifacts so there is some download progress to report.
>
> You mean removing SO_TIMEOUT ?
> Perso I think it's good to have such value to prevent infinite wait
> when the remote server hangs for any reason.
>
> Currently the default value is 60s.
> Do you think this value must be increase or at least more easily
> configurable tru cli or removed and replace with a infinite value ?

I didn't realise it could already be configured via settings.xml. It should be
specifically called to attention in the docs and the release notes. An
enhancement later could be to direct someone to an explanation in the error
message.

> Last but not least do we have to consider this as blocker for the release ?

Some way of addressing it (at a minimum clear docs) should be with the release.
I would imagine this ending up causing complaints to repository manager user
lists pretty quickly otherwise.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter