I agree to not hold up the 3.0.4 release as it was already in 3.0.3 thus
the problem was in the previous release process that didn't identify this
problem.
The problem of this bug is that we don't know if this bug is affecting many
plugins but it seems that it's not really the case as it is here for a long
time now (more than one year ago when we released the 3.0.3)
I would recommend to try to improve the visibility of know bugs in our web
sites (core and plugins) to try to avoid as much as possible to let our
users loose many time with them. The question is how ???
For example for this bug with the release plugin I lost 1/2 day to identify
it ( the time to understand that one team upgraded the release plugin
version, to replay the release problem ...)

Arnaud