Hi

I've had a look at this issue in the Checkstyle Plugin
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-146

The issue is not unique to the Checkstyle Plugin, but rather any plugin
that uses Doxia 1.1.x or newer. That means at least all reporting
plugins. I've verified it on the PMD Plugin that I am working on.

All Maven 2 versions come with a bundled Doxia version. This means that
it is locked and cannot use newer versions of Doxia. Most current
reporting plugins use Doxia 1.1.x which was introduced in Maven 2.1.0.
Maven version prior to that cannot use Doxia 1.1 features like Doxia
Logging.

So when a reporting plugin using Doxia 1.1 is invoked by Maven 2.0.x
there is a high probability that it will crash, in a way similar to what
is described in the above issue.

To remedy this I propose that all plugins that use Doxia 1.1+ has its
Maven prerequisite set to 2.2.1.

Why not 2.1.0 or 2.2.0 you may ask? Well, we don't want people to use
them because Maven 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 produce incorrect GPG signatures and
checksums respectively.

Comments?

This is something that can be done one plugin at a time, when it's due
for release. We should register JIRA issues for each plugin stating the
updated Maven prerequisite, to make the change visible to our users.

--
Dennis Lundberg