Hello,

Here's a proposal on how we tag our releases. This is primarily to
help continuous integration and stay in line with other communities.
This should also help git describe do the right thing.

For those who don't have the context, currently we don't create tags
at the beginning of the release. We create one (non-annotated) for
every RC release. This doesn't help when we want to setup CI system
for Mesos. There is no way to find the current version/release, going
by tags, unless we hack around and parse configure.ac script.

rainbow:mesos bhuvan$ git describe
fatal: No annotated tags can describe
'185dba5d8d52034ac6a8e29c2686f0f7dc4cf102'.
However, there were unannotated tags: try --tags.
rainbow:mesos bhuvan$ git describe --tags
0.18.0-rc6

The proposal is to create annotated tag at the beginning of every
release and lightweight tag for RC releases. This way when we setup CI
to build/package Mesos, we could find current version/release using
git describe.

Something in these lines. Note the tag 0.19.0 is created locally in my
repository  ...
rainbow:mesos bhuvan$ git tag -a 0.19.0 -m '0.19.0 release' 99985d27
rainbow:mesos bhuvan$ git describe
0.19.0-220-gca84d5f

If there are no disagreement, I'll file a ticket to create one for
0.19.0 release and document the release/tagging steps for future
releases.

--
Regards,
Bhuvan Arumugam