+1 on the speed-up-the-tests project!

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Greg Mann <g...@mesosphere.io> wrote:
> I'd like to bring up something that both Neil and Joseph mentioned to me
> recently, which could be of use when working on these slow test tickets.
> Since we have the `process::Clock` class, it's quite easy to control the
> clock manually, and doing so can both speed up tests as well as make them
> more deterministic/less flaky. While we're working on the above tickets, I
> think it would be nice to look for opportunities to alter the tests we're
> touching to pause the clock and then advance it explicitly using `pause()`,
> `settle()`, and `advance()`, rather than letting it run as usual.

Yep -- I think eventually having the clock paused by default for tests
would probably be a good idea:

To make that happen, we might need a few more primitives to force
"pending" events to be processed before manually advancing the clock.
`Clock::settle()` works for libprocess messages, but not for socket
communication more generally (e.g., when using the HTTP API). It would
help to get rid of this kludge in `Clock::settle` as well:

Neil