I typically think of files having dashes as binaries or scripts that
are runnable, whereas files with underscores are meant as source or
otherwise supplementary to the binary produced (e.g. a supplementary
python library that the main python program imports).  I'm  not sure
where I inherited this convention from, but it's always been the way
I've done things.

As far as our code base goes, we seem to use this convention as well
with our mesos-master.sh. mesos-slave.sh, etc. binaries.

--
~Kevin